Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Alemany Bus Graveyard

I went to the Alemany Bazaar this past weekend looking for some galoshes. You never know when the next rain is going to hit in this city, and my old bones can't take another embarrassing fall to the street, all these fuckers darting around looking all scared and worried, thinking that I broke my spine in half. I wouldn't feel so ashamed if they didn't look so damn pitiful about it. Anyway, my old galoshes just got too muddy. Sooner or later my old ass is going to drop dead, and I better be wearing some clean galoshes to match my clean underwear.

After finding my perfect pair at the far corner of the bazaar, I was attracted to these rusted buses over by a shed that were painted with all these bright pinks, blues, and greens. Wow, what memories they brought back of my Grateful dead acid trip days! I haven't thought about those times in a long while. I got closer and realized the colors were more like pale rusted over colors. I suppose the sunlight and my distance had given the hues an iridescent aura.


Just look at these slumbering beasts! Huge hunks of metal, rubber, and glass all mashed together to form some kind of four wheeled centipede creature that used to wind around pavement streets, up hills and through valleys. Now they look like they're in hibernation, preparing for a metamorphosis into something extraordinary, some strange animal with wings and new colors, fluttering around looking all soft and light despite their size.


Or maybe they'll just waste away in this graveyard, penetrated by the toll the elements take on them, occasionally decorated by wistful paint.

Imagine if an organic creature was born with wheels instead of legs.


I'd really love to steal one of these and drive it around for a bit.

No comments: